Since the establishment of a Red Cross Outpost in the community in 1947, there has been an active Auxiliary supporting health care in the Pugwash area. With the opening of the North Cumberland Memorial Hospital in 1966, the Auxiliary expanded its efforts to provide support for the every-changing needs of the community's hospital.
The Auxiliary's primary fund raising source is the Thrift Shop located in a building adjacent to North Cumberland Memorial Hospital. Staffed by Auxiliary volunteers, the Thrift Shop sells used clothing and household items. Among the other activities sponsored by the Auxiliary are raffles, bake sales and an annual bazaar. Proceeds from all of these efforts are used to purchase needed equipment for the hospital as well as to provide daily newspapers and cable TV service for patients in the hospital. Recently, a new computer system was purchased and has been located at the hospital to be used by members of the staff and public to access health related information.
For further information on the work of the North Cumberland Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, please contact Margaret Jamison at (902) 243-2753.